Overall Operating Rules of a Consulate
A consulate can:
- Provide needed information upon your arrival in the country you are visiting: interpreters, lawyers, translators, hospitals, doctors, schools.
- Provide you with an emergency travel document in case of loss of passport, should you must return to Cape Verde urgently.
- Assist Cape Verdeans who are detained, by helping them contact their relatives, employer, insurance company or bank in Cape Verde to obtain needed resources.
A consulate CANNOT:
- Act as a travel agency
- Endorse or lend money
- Get a job abroad
- Guarantee better treatment in the hospital or prison than that granted to nationals of the country
- Provide you with personnel to be your interpreter, guide or social worker while visiting a country.
Before leaving your country it is very important to find out what the Consulate office can do for you.